September 2007, Nyanga, Zimbabwe
The fourth workshop in the ALPHA network programme was held near Nyanga in Zimbabwe from 17-21 September 2007.
Twenty eight people attended the workshop with representatives from all ALPHA sites and two visitors from the MDICP project in Malawi.
The topics for this workshop were marriage and sexual behaviour. Areas of interest were ages at first sex and marriage, the characteristics of marital relationships and numbers of partners. These topics were chosen because most sites could conduct some analysis on each theme.
There was an emphasis on checking the integrity of data reported at different points in time both to improve the accuracy of estimates and to quantify any reporting bias.
The analyses from this workshop formed the basis for the papers in a special issue of STI (supplement 1 2009).
- Sexual behaviour change in countries with generalised HIV epidemics? Evidence from population-based cohort studies in sub-Saharan Africa
Simon Gregson, Jim Todd, and Basia Zaba
Sex Transm Infect 2009; 85 (Suppl 1): i1-i2. doi:10.1136/sti.2009.036053
- Is sexual risk taking behaviour changing in rural south-west Uganda? Behaviour trends in a rural population cohort 1993–2006
S Biraro, L A Shafer, I Kleinschmidt, B Wolff, A Karabalinde, A Nalwoga, J Musinguzi, W Kirungi, A Opio, J Whitworth, and H Grosskurth
Sex Transm Infect 2009; 85 (Suppl 1): i3-i11. doi:10.1136/sti.2008.033928
- Trends in age at first sex in Uganda: evidence from Demographic and Health Survey data and longitudinal cohorts in Masaka and Rakai
E Slaymaker, J B Bwanika, I Kasamba, T Lutalo, D Maher, and J Todd
Sex Transm Infect 2009; 85 (Suppl 1): i12-i19. doi:10.1136/sti.2008.034009
- Influence of timing of sexual debut and first marriage on sexual behaviour in later life: findings from four survey rounds in the Kisesa cohort in northern Tanzania
B Zaba, R Isingo, A Wringe, M Marston, E Slaymaker, and M Urassa
Sex Transm Infect 2009; 85 (Suppl 1): i20-i26. doi:10.1136/sti.2008.033704
- Sexual and marital trajectories and HIV infection among ever-married women in rural Malawi
C Boileau, S Clark, S Bignami-Van Assche, M Poulin, G Reniers, S C Watkins, H P Kohler, and S J Heymann
Sex Transm Infect 2009; 85 (Suppl 1): i27-i33. doi:10.1136/sti.2008.033969
- Measuring trends in age at first sex and age at marriage in Manicaland, Zimbabwe
I Cremin, P Mushati, T Hallett, Z Mupambireyi, C Nyamukapa, G P Garnett, and S Gregson
Sex Transm Infect 2009; 85 (Suppl 1): i34-i40. doi:10.1136/sti.2008.033431
- Role of widows in the heterosexual transmission of HIV in Manicaland, Zimbabwe, 1998–2003
B A Lopman, C Nyamukapa, T B Hallett, P Mushati, N Spark-du Preez, F Kurwa, M Wambe, and S Gregson
Sex Transm Infect 2009; 85 (Suppl 1): i41-i48. doi:10.1136/sti.2008.033043
- Age at first sex in rural South Africa
N McGrath, M Nyirenda, V Hosegood, and M-L Newell
Sex Transm Infect 2009; 85 (Suppl 1): i49-i55. doi:10.1136/sti.2008.033324
- Comparative assessment of the quality of age-at-event reporting in three HIV cohort studies in sub-Saharan Africa
A Wringe, I Cremin, J Todd, N McGrath, I Kasamba, K Herbst, P Mushore, B Zaba, and E Slaymaker
Sex Transm Infect 2009; 85 (Suppl 1): i56-i63. doi:10.1136/sti.2008.033423
- Trends in marriage and time spent single in sub-Saharan Africa: a comparative analysis of six population-based cohort studies and nine Demographic and Health Surveys
M Marston, E Slaymaker, I Cremin, S Floyd, N McGrath, I Kasamba, T Lutalo, M Nyirenda, A Ndyanabo, Z Mupambireyi, and B Zaba
Sex Transm Infect 2009; 85 (Suppl 1): i64-i71. doi:10.1136/sti.2008.034249
- Reported number of sexual partners: comparison of data from four African longitudinal studies
J Todd, I Cremin, N McGrath, J-B Bwanika, A Wringe, M Marston, I Kasamba, P Mushati, T Lutalo, V Hosegood, and B Zaba
Sex Transm Infect 2009; 85 (Suppl 1): i72-i80. doi:10.1136/sti.2008.033985