Workshop 3: HIV mortality
Meta analysis, HIV incidence, comparative analysis, HIV impact of family demography, site-specific analysis, survival following HIV infection
November 2006, Entebbe, Uganda
The third workshop in the ALPHA network programme took place between 13-17 November 2006 and was held in Entebbe, Uganda. The workshop covered:
- Estimation of survival time after HIV infection (before anti-retroviral therapy)
- Family demography (continuation of work started at workshop 2)
20 people attended the workshop, including representatives from the two Thai studies, the Rakai study and the South African miner’s cohort and 8 facilitators.
UNAIDS offered additional funding to the network, to enable the inclusion of additional cohorts (including occupational and clinic-based cohorts) in the work on survival post-infection leading to this workshop. The additional funding was used to:
- Establish contact with the Rakai community cohort study
- Enable a study visit to LSHTM by an epidemiologist from the Thai military recruit cohort study
- Data exchange with the Thai blood donor cohort
- Collaboration with the South African miners cohort study
- Data exchange with an ANC cohort study from Haiti.
Presentation at XVII International AIDS conference, Mexico City in 2008 “Survival following HIV infection in developing countries in the pre-ART era”.
Papers based on analyses from this workshop formed the basis of a special issue of AIDS:
- Ghys PD, Zaba B, Prins M. Survival and mortality of people infected with HIV in low and middle income countries: results from the extended ALPHA network. AIDS 2007;21 Suppl 6:S1-4.
- Isingo R, Zaba B, Marston M, Ndege M, Mngara J, Mwita W, et al. Survival after HIV infection in the pre-antiretroviral therapy era in a rural Tanzanian cohort. AIDS 2007;21 Suppl 6:S5-S13.
- Lutalo T, Gray RH, Wawer M, Sewankambo N, Serwadda D, Laeyendecker O, et al. Survival of HIV-infected treatment-naive individuals with documented dates of seroconversion in Rakai, Uganda. AIDS 2007;21 Suppl 6:S15-9.
- Marston M, Todd J, Glynn JR, Nelson KE, Rangsin R, Lutalo T, et al. Estimating ‘net’ HIV-related mortality and the importance of background mortality rates. AIDS 2007;21 Suppl 6:S65-71.
- McGrath N, Kranzer K, Saul J, Crampin AC, Malema S, Kachiwanda L, et al. Estimating the need for antiretroviral treatment and an assessment of a simplified HIV/AIDS case definition in rural Malawi. AIDS 2007;21 Suppl 6:S105-13.
- Murray J, Sonnenberg P, Nelson G, Bester A, Shearer S, Glynn JR. Cause of death and presence of respiratory disease at autopsy in an HIV-1 seroconversion cohort of southern African gold miners. AIDS 2007;21 Suppl 6:S97-S104.
- Nelson KE, Costello C, Suriyanon V, Sennun S, Duerr A. Survival of blood donors and their spouses with HIV-1 subtype E (CRF01 A_E) infection in northern Thailand, 1992-2007. AIDS 2007;21 Suppl 6:S47-54.
- Nyirenda M, Hosegood V, Barnighausen T, Newell M-L. Mortality levels and trends by HIV serostatus in rural South Africa. AIDS 2007;21 Suppl 6:S73-9.
- Peters PJ, Karita E, Kayitenkore K, Meinzen-Derr J, Kim D-J, Tichacek A, et al. HIV-infected Rwandan women have a high frequency of long-term survival. AIDS 2007;21 Suppl 6:S31-7.
- Rangsin R, Piyaraj P, Sirisanthana T, Sirisopana N, Short O, Nelson KE. The natural history of HIV-1 subtype E infection in young men in Thailand with up to 14 years of follow-up. AIDS 2007;21 Suppl 6:S39-46.
- Smith J, Mushati P, Kurwa F, Mason P, Gregson S, Lopman B. Changing patterns of adult mortality as the HIV epidemic matures in Manicaland, eastern Zimbabwe. AIDS 2007;21 Suppl 6:S81-6.
- Todd J, Glynn JR, Marston M, Lutalo T, Biraro S, Mwita W, et al. Time from HIV seroconversion to death: a collaborative analysis of eight studies in six low and middle-income countries before highly active antiretroviral therapy. AIDS 2007;21 Suppl 6:S55-63.
- Van der Paal L, Shafer LA, Todd J, Mayanja BN, Whitworth JAG, Grosskurth H. HIV-1 disease progression and mortality before the introduction of highly active antiretroviral therapy in rural Uganda. AIDS 2007;21 Suppl 6:S21-9.
- Zaba B, Marston M, Crampin AC, Isingo R, Biraro S, Barnighausen T, et al. Age-specific mortality patterns in HIV-infected individuals: a comparative analysis of African community study data. AIDS 2007;21 Suppl 6:S87-96.