Position: Principal Research Scientist (1 post)
Reports to: Head – Health Systems, Impact Evaluation and Policy Department
Work station: Dar es Salaam
Apply by: May 15, 2018
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
IHI is looking for a Principal Research Scientist with a strong background in epidemiology, demography or health/development economics to lead and further expand an existing portfolio of implementation science and operations research for health systems strengthening and improved community health in Tanzania.
The successful candidate will lead small teams of researchers employing a mix of methods from a variety of disciplines. S/he will academically mentor junior scientists, manage ongoing studies and facilitate learning within the IHI-organised Masters of Science in Public Health Research. S/he is expected to attract implementation science and operations research funding in line with IHI’s 2018-2023 strategy.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Further build up the HSIEP team based in Dar es Salaam and Ifakara, Tanzania.
* Successfully compete for funding from research and evaluation funding sources.
* Lead or co-lead research projects and have end-responsibility for all related research activities.
* Further specify and help implement IHI’s 2018-2023 research strategy on implementation science and operations research in one or more of the following topic areas: HIV and reproductive health, child health and wellbeing, TB, and mental health.
* Extend collaborative research with other relevant institutions.
* Actively participate in Knowledge Translation of research results.
* Disseminate research results at local, national and international meetings and conferences and through peer-reviewed publications.
* Participate as facilitator and coordinator in the IHI/ NMAIST Masters of Science in Public Health Research.
* Supervise Masters and PhD students hosted by IHI.
* Actively participate in technical advisory bodies of government, implementation agencies and international agencies.
* Be a member of IHI’s Scientific Committee.
* Represent IHI in stakeholder meetings and in other relevant international meetings.
Qualifications and Experience
Holders of a PhD or equivalent in epidemiology, demography, health/development economics will be considered for this job.
* Significant post-doctoral research experience in the area of implementation science, process evaluation, impact evaluation or operations research.
* Successfully led projects with multiple primary data collection components within ethical, regulatory, budgetary and time requirements in an African setting.
* Experience in successfully leading a multidisciplinary research team (including disciplines from quantitative and qualitative paradigms).
* Outstanding publication record, including senior authorship.
* Good track record of attracting external funding in the area of implementation science or operations research.
* Proven capability to train and supervise MSc/MA and PhD students to graduation.
* Postgraduate experience in HIV, reproductive health, mental health or health system governance research.
* Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
* Ability to value the contribution of disciplines that are not one’s own.
* Good organizational and managerial skills.
* Ability to collaborate well with key stakeholders and colleagues.
* Ability to deliver quality outcomes on time across a range of projects.
* Good oral and written Kiswahili communication skills.
* Previous experience of working in Tanzania.
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to a successful candidate as per IHI salary scales. 3
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, land/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the address below. The deadline for this application is May 15, 2018 at 17.00hrs. All e-mail application headlines should read “Principal Research Scientist”.
Chief Human Resources Officer,
Ifakara Health Institute,
Kiko Avenue, Mikocheni, p. o. Box 78373,
Dar es Salaam.